Friday, August 19, 2011

Dealing With Sadness and Unhappiness

They say that dogs can pick up on something when humans are not feeling happy. I can attest to that.

Today I got to see Ellen, who is Gus' mom (Gus was and is my first dog-friend), for the first time in a week. Ellen is feeling sad because her mom died. I would be sad, too, if my mom died. So when I saw Ellen, I did what I could only do--I offered her my kisses, my soft and clean-smelling fur (I had to have a bath this morning), my silliness, and my tummy for Ellen to scratch. I let her give me lots of kisses and hugs, too. We played, too.

Yesterday I did the same thing to mom. Every time when mom comes home, I greet her at the door with an abundance of energy and lots of kisses. But yesterday when mom came home, she was fake-happy, so I knew she needed something other than all my energy and kisses. I offered her all I could--I sat at her feet when she came in the door and, when she scooped me up as she always does when we see each other after being separated for any amount of time, I snuggled into her. We had a snuggle buggle. I didn't get all wiggly and giggly like I always do when mom is for-real happy. I let her give me lots of hugs. We had a quiet moment instead of the hyper moment we usually have.

I couldn't take away Ellen's sadness or mom's unhappiness, but that's not my job. I'm just supposed to give them--and anyone in need of some pastoral care--unconditional love and acceptance.

So yes, we dogs can tell when you humans are not feeling too well. We will offer ourselves to you in special ways. After all, they say we dogs are conduits between the sad and unhappy person with the love and acceptance of God.

Thought for you humans:
How do you deal with your own sadness and unhappiness? How are you when others are sad and unhappy?

No comments:

Post a Comment