Sunday, November 20, 2011

Visiting the Dog-Emergency Room

I had to visit the Dog-Emergency Room yesterday.

The day started out in a fantastic way! Mom and I went to our friend Marie's house to help her put up Christmas decorations outside. I got to spend a lot of time outside, chasing leaves, saying hi to neighbors, and barking at the newspaper carrier. It started drizzling and so I got soaked and full of mud. It was the best day.

Then Marie and mom went to the garage to get out of the rain and I followed them. As they untangled strings of lights, I came across a little package of green pellets in the corner. I took a pellet in my mouth, chomped on it, and decided this was a tasty treat. I chomped on some more pellets and, because I have not yet learned how to chew with my mouth closed, I was chomping quite loudly, so loudly that mom heard me and literally flew across the garage to get out all those treats out of my mouth.

I didn't see what was the big deal. I was just enjoying some tasty treats, after all! Then Mom kept saying, "Thunder ate mouse poison! Thunder ate mouse poison!" I remember hearing the word "poison" before, like at home when I tried eating leaves off a plant or when I tried to eat dirt from the same plant. I can't eat anything that is called poison. So I guessed that the new treats I found were actually poison.

Mom and Marie whisked me into the kitchen and mom fed me something called hydrogen peroxide from a water bottle. It tasted horribly, and then they made me go outside so I could throw up. I threw up right away--over 3 times--and when I was finished, Marie and mom took me for a long car ride to the Dog-Emergency Room in Appleton.

On the way there, Marie and Mom said a prayer to St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. It is a good thing that I wear a St. Francis of Assisi medal around my neck. I knew I was doubly protected then! St. Francis of Assisi would keep me safe!

The nice Dog Doctor at the Dog-Emergency Room gave me some charcoal to eat and I got black charcoal all over my beard. He gave mom some vitamin K pills to give me all month. Everyone expects me to live a long, long time.

While my day yesterday started out really well as I helped mom and Marie decorate outside, it ended with a trip to the Dog-Emergency Room.

I really don't like poison.

Thoughts for you humans:
What thoughts or actions are poisoning you? How will you take care of your poisons?

2 comments:

  1. Thunder, I hope you feel better real soon!

    Uncle Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thunder,
    we are just glad you are alive! yu bring buckets of joy to our lives. Marie

    ReplyDelete