Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mountains and Molehills

There are two big and scary monsters in my neighborhood!  But mom says I like to make mountains out of molehills.

The first monster is a big and green and noisy thing. It harumphs so loudly that it wakes me up every Monday morning. You should see its mouth! It is so big that it can scoop up one entire garbage can in one gulp. Now I bark at it to scare it away, but it doesn't go away. It keeps slurping up garbage cans and harumphing its way down the street.

The second monster is very, very quiet. It is a little taller than I am and stands very still. It just stares at me. I try to make it move or smile when I bark at it, but it doesn't budge. This monster is as scary as the big green monster I hear every Monday morning because it is so quiet and unpredictable!

Mom says the first monster is a garbage truck; she says the second monster is a grill. She says when I know what those things are then I won't be too afraid of them.

Mom tells me not to make mountains out of molehills by making things what they are not. A garbage truck is just a garbage truck, not a monster. A grill is just a grill, not a monster. I will try keeping that in mind the next time I see a grill and next Monday morning.

Thought for you humans:
What are your mountains that you created out of molehills? Why did you make your molehills into mountains? Wouldn't it be freer just to deal with your molehills as they are and not make them into something they really are not?

No comments:

Post a Comment